Monday, January 19, 2009

Moroccan Sheep Herder

There are countless sheep herders in Morocco. I didn't get this man's name because he didn't speak English.  Our interaction was translated by my driver as we drove from North Morocco to the south.  This gentleman was happy to be photographed and was a natural in front of the camera.  His son however did share the older man's receptiveness.  The mans son, who obviously was following in the family business of sheep, was very vocal in expressing his views that I NOT photograph his father.  I kept checking back in my with translator (my driver) who encouraged me to ignore the rants of the son and that the old man happily consented to my request to photograph him.  When we got back on the road and I inquired of my driver what the resistance from the son was about, and all he would say was that the young son was very superstitious.  I still wonder what that meant...