Thursday, January 15, 2009

Atlas Mountains, Morocco: Pick Up Soccer Game

We were enroute from Fes to the Sahara, yet stopped along this desolate road so I could photograph this group of "kids" playing football.  Walking the 1000 feet to them was a taste of how fierce and tough this group was. They greeting me by throwing rocks and trying to scare me away with taunts and yells. 

These two shots capture the attitude and aggression of these youngsters, who were aged far beyond their actual years.   As I approached, some of them accepted me and acted as peacemakers with the rest of the group.  Showing them my camera was a big hit which turned the tide in my favor.  This image shows a pile on, with me underneath 15+ kids, as I showed them the digital image of themselves that I had just taken.  From their reaction, it seemed that they were not at all familiar with such technology. 
Here is a shot of them, post pile on, mimicking my actions, still fascinated with the digital camera and with my interest in their activities.