Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Sublime Miss Kosi (Repost)

The Sublime Miss Kosi






































The Sublime Miss Kosi"I first met Kosi at an open mic at Paris Blues. I was taking pictures of the Les Goodson Quartet for Paula to send out to the Harlem Blogs. I asked Kosi if I could take a picture of her and she asked me "What's it for? I told here that I was an admirer of feminine beauty. She laughed and permission was granted.

Later when I heard her sing I was impressed not only by the quality of her voice but also by the intelligence she brought to the lyrics. I asked her if she wanted to do a duet of a new piece I was introducing called "Love". It went well and we have slowly incorporated her into The Goddess Lakshmi.

"What's a band with no chicks in it doing called The Goddess Lakshmi anyways?" she recently stated to me.

I felt odd introducing her as just "Kosi" so I invented The Sublime Miss Kosi. It was a play on Lady Day and The Divine Miss M. Then Les picked it up and began using it too. The other night Paula told me she wanted to make T-shirts with The Sublime Miss Kosi on it. So it appears to be sticking."

Originally Posted by bugpowder The Goddess Lakshmi: @ http://thegoddesslakshmi.blogspot.com/2011/06/sublime-miss-kosi.html

Photography by Sean Gilligan www.seangilligan.com

No comments: